Thursday, March 15, 2012

Rainy Crockpot Days



I bought this crockpot this weekend at Target in preparation for some rainy weather and delicious 'walk away' dinners.

I was hesitant to get this one, because my old and trusty slow cooker had a the turn dial for Low and High which seemed to work fine. This new one has a timer and a Keep Warm setting which seemed a bit to high tech and fancy for some one like myself, but I decided that as an avid iPhone user, and gen Y baby, I could handle it.

I had these great plans of picking a recipe before I went to bed, getting up early on Monday, going to the store, etc. I had dreams of starting my day early in the kitchen slicing and dicing, which is a form of female therapy.

All hopes and dreams went awry when I woke up at my normal time (Thank you 'Day Light Savings') and DID NOT make it to the store.

That being said I did what my patient, loving, and creative mother did many-a-time...The good 'ole look in your fridge, and deep freeze and work some magic.

Here is a Sleep-In-Too-Late-To-Go-To-The-Store Morning special recipe
Step One
1 red bell pepper sliced
1 red onion cut into large squares
5 large carrots cut into 1/2" slices
1 can canned artichoke hearts

Place on bottom crock pot

Step Two
Place 1 small frozen chicken on the vegetables
Rub with
paprika
cayenne
garlic salt
cumin

Step Three
Cover with 1 can of cream of mushroom
1/2 cup water
2 bullion cubes

Cook for 6-8 hours

It basically makes a Chicken Vegetable soup, a flavorful one at that.

In summary my crock pot made my day, and for that matter my week. If Mondays are great days, then the week has to be great too. Isn't that how it works....

If only.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Thoughts Are Appreciated!!!